WHO: Delegations of Special Olympics athletes and Best Buddies participants, coaches, program leaders, and family members from more than 40 states will participate in their annual ‘Capitol Hill Day.’ Also joining are Timothy P. Shriver, Special Olympics Chairman and CEO; Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO); and Congressman Steny Hoyer (D-MD).
WHAT: Special Olympics and Best Buddies participants and supporters will converge on Capitol Hill to meet with America’s elected leaders to urge continued commitment to the work of the late Eunice Kennedy Shriver and make sure that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) are top of the mind when critical decisions are made for the country. Throughout the day, athletes and ambassadors will meet face-to-face with their Congressional representatives in more than 300 scheduled appointments.
Following meetings on the Hill, a candlelight vigil will be held as a poignant reminder of everyone’s ability to aid in the fight for civil rights for all.
WHERE & WHEN: Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C. Wednesday, February 8
- 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Meetings on-going all day(Media should contact Special Olympics or Best Buddies for more information on specific meetings)
- 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- Candlelight Vigil: Capitol Hill Reflecting Pool
- Vigil open to public/press; 1-on-1 interviews available upon request
- Speakers to include:
- Tim Shriver, Special Olympics Chairman & CEO
- Lindsay Mibach, Special Olympics athlete from California
- Edward Corser, Best Buddies Ambassador from Florida
- Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO)
- Congressman Steny Hoyer (D-MD)
WHY: Because people with IDD continue to lack access to essential human services - ranging from employment opportunities to access to healthcare - Special Olympics and Best Buddies will urge members of Congress to support critical government programs that address these needs. More than 200 million people around the globe have IDD, making this the largest disability group worldwide.
Mandy Murphy Jennifer Hanlon
Special Olympics Best Buddies International
(202) 824-0227 +1 (305) 374-2233 x 245
firstname.lastname@example.org +Day of: (305) 898-9982