The Opening Ceremony of the Central American Games ignited the flame of hope and dignity in Panama City, Panama. The show kicked of on April 15 in the Rommel Fernandez Stadium with a spectacular artistic performance. The venue was filled with Government Officials, Special Olympics fans, media representatives, coaches, volunteers
Tim Shriver, CEO and President of Special Olympics International said "This week Special Olympics athletes from all over Central America and the Caribbean will show us their determination, courage and skills in the field of play".
The Games are organized by Special Olympics Latin America, which is based in Panama City.
Special Olympics athletes with intellectual disabilities are competing in five-a-side football, basketball, track and field, swimming, table tennis, tennis, bocce, bowling and rhythmic gymnastics.
• Friday, April 13: Arrival of delegations
• Saturday, April 14: Host City
• Sunday, April 15: Opening Ceremony (4:00 pm)
• Monday, April 16: Competitions
• Tuesday, April 17: Competitions
• Wednesday, April 18: Health Festival and Recreation
• Thursday, April 19: Competitions - Finals
• Friday, April 20: Competitions - Finals
4:00 pm: Closing Ceremony.
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama Dominican Republic. Costa Rica, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Puerto Rico.
USA, Nicaragua and Peru.
Irvin Saladin Sports Complex, Balboa Stadium and Gymnasium, Bowling el Dorado and Cerro Viento Golf Club.