Welcome and thank you for your interest in taking a health training on treating people with Intellectual Disabilities (ID)! The mission of Special Olympics Health is to provide access to preventive health programming and access to quality health care for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to improve their physical health and social and emotional well-being.
Over 80% of healthcare providers are not professionally trained to treat people with intellectual disabilities. You can Join the Revolution for Healthcare Inclusion by taking one of our free eLearning courses today! Current courses available include:
- Special Olympics Health: A 30-minute course that provides an overview of the history and mission of Special Olympics its health initiatives.
- Introduction to Intellectual Disabilities: A 45-minute course that provides information on what is an intellectual disability, how to communicate with someone with ID, and health disparities among people with ID.
- General Health Volunteer Training: A 60-minute course that is a condensed version of Special Olympics Health and Introduction to Intellectual Disabilities.
- Supporting Families through the ID Diagnosis: This 45-minute training is designed for clinicians who are working with a family through a Global Developmental Delay (GDD) or intellectual disability diagnosis.
- Inclusive Fitness Training: This 60 minute module is for fitness professionals who want to learn more about how to work with people with intellectual disabilities in their own fitness setting.
- Clinical Director Training: Various training programs for Healthy Athletes Clinical Directors. Please contact HealthyAthletes@specialolympics.org for more information on becoming a Clinical Director.
Get started now by signing into our eLearning Portal!
STEP 1: Online Learning Portal
Open the Special Olympics Learning Portal
Please note: The recommended browser is the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome or Internet Explore 10 or above
STEP 2: Login/Register
If you have previously used the Special Olympics Learning Portal , please select “Login” and use your registered email and password.
If you are new to the Special Olympics Learning Portal, please select “Register”
Please note: Your email will only be used for communication about the Special Olympics Learning Portal.
STEP 3: New User Registration Part 1
Please fill out the required fields. Please note instructions on the following:
- Learning Area: It is very IMPORTANT to select “Health”.
- Region: If you are unsure of the Special Olympics Region you are in, you can view all Programs by region here.
- Area of Focus: Select "Health Professional"
- Captcha: You must check "I am not a robot."
Finally, proceed to hit “REGISTER”.
STEP 4: Registration
New User Registration: Confirmation
Upon completion you will receive a web confirmation that your registration has gone through, see screenshot below:
Check the email that you registered to complete the process. You will receive an email titled “Welcome to Special Olympics!” and the sender will be “Okta”.
STEP 5: Finalize Account
Within the email, click the “Activate Special Olympics Account” button on the email within 30 days to complete registration.
Enter a new password and choose a security image to proceed.
Your registration is now complete--you are logged in and can begin taking the course.
QUESTIONS? Please email us.